Curator Picks - 5/29

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

So every year around this time I roll in to work, go online and realize that I missed Manhattanhenge yet again! But this will not happen to me this year. I swear it! Manhattanhenge is when the setting sun lines up with the Manhattan's street grid and shines a perfect line of light through the cross streets. The sun is only in this position twice a year (tonight and July 12th). Best spots to view it are on 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, and 57th streets (place yourself as far east as possible). It tends to attract quite a crowd. I love my idol Neil deGrasse Tyson's musings on what archaeologists of the future will think about Manhattan's gridlike layout when the city is dug up centuries from now. Thanks to Marie at 66 Square Feet for the reminder.



Fashion/style:


Loved this article today titled The Hunter and the Gatherer on Style.com about boyfriend/girlfriend powerhouse fashion bloggers Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist and Garance Dore.

Cup of Jo has a cute one-piece swimsuit lineup today.



Food:

I always try to think ahead for holiday baking and this Salted Caramel Roast Nut Tart from Adventures in Cooking caught my eye today as a cool riff on the usual pecan pie for Thanksgiving. I love this recipe too cause it gives gluten free options. But who says you have to wait until Thanksgiving?

Cookie dough with no eggs? Now you don't have to feel guilty about eating that raw cookie dough. Bakerella has posted a great recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough (originally from The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook - coming out June 5).

It's tomato time again and while I won't be turning on my oven if I can help it this week, I'd still like to try out some of these oven-roasted tomatoes via David Lebovitz.



Interior design:

I'm going to have to send my London-based sister to check out Atea Oceanie, a new interior design shop with a South Pacific theme recently opened by New Zealander Laura Meyer. Featured in Remodelista's Shopper's Diary today, the store looks like an amazing mix of handmade crafts and older antiques.



I had a beautiful weekend filled with plenty of family time. The highlight had to be a six hour picnic in Central Park on Monday. The Great Lawn was packed with groups of friends eating, sleeping, and reading. The group I was with had several children and they ran through the grass for hours, weaving their way through the picnic blankets with amazing precision. Collapsing at home at 9pm last night, I was immensely grateful for my life, where I get to spend it, and who I'm spending it with.








4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures - the blue design on blue stripes is so cute! And thanks for the Atea Oceanie tip - will check it out this weekend! So...did you see Manhattenhenge?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO!!! couldn't get out of the apartment on time. I have put July 12th in my calendar though, and I will not miss it.

      Delete
  2. The sunlight you captured is wonderful in your 3rd picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love your feedback!

 

the curator © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger